I had played a little with Social Multiplier but not done too much seriously with it. I was wanting to find a way to incorporate the tool into my ongoing promotion work without messing everything up.
Touch wood, that has been done, I have several accounts running and no bans or blocks placed.
I had tried using the tool on my work computer but it eats too much resource even on a relatively well specced quad core machine SM was getting in the way and I had no laptop that was fast enough to run more than a single campaign. So, I got myself a VPS.
This is the spec of the the server: 8 x Intel Core i7 Cpu 920 @ 2.67 GHz. 12Gb RAM (4 cores, running 8 threads - not the latest and greatest but about the same as my desktop)
Currently I am running 4 Auto-Follow campaigns with intervals of between 1 and 8 hours and 4 Group Board Invite campaigns 3 running hourly and one running twice per day.
Alongside Social Multiplier I am running Money Robot, a browser emulating link building tool - similar to SENuke.
So, both tools are emulating browsers. Money Robot on its own is rock solid, running as I use it, there's about 25 threads at at a time (a thread is a task - creating an account, posting an article, confirming email addresses etc). The resource consumption for this is fine. Usually well below 35% and with loads of memory free. because I use the tool's automated resource control to control the thread count I know that the system is running 'comfortably'.
When I add Social Multiplier things go mad...
When the tool is running CPU usage goes up to over 90%. Even when Social Multiplier is not actually doing anything CPU usage runs at anything between 60 and 90% and memory usage runs at 70% or thereabouts.
To protect the server I have set the Application Speed to its lowest setting, Max CPU to 80% and Max Mem to 85%. Schedules are checked as randomised.
The resource usage leads to problems with Social Multiplier.
Money Robot pulls its neck in and runs fewer processes - no crashes or errors. Campaigns just take longer to run.
Social Multiplier generates errors. If I leave it over night the thing has either crashed when I open up in the morning or generated a load of error messages telling me the program has crashed (these messages relate to instances of SM's browser emulation I think, not the underlying core program.) There is often an out of memory error relating to browser threads as well.
Social Multiplier should only need to work for a few moments when the scheduled activity rolls round. So why is it requiring so much in the way of resources when it is 'asleep'? *see below, this seems to be related to housekeeping and thread crashes*
This background activity is delaying Money Robot campaigns because, unlike Social Multiplier, Money Robot runs for hours, or even days, on any given campaign. However, when finished it drops off to a single thread and negligible resource overhead.
There's another issue. I have taken to running Social Multiplier for only part of the day, in order to give a somewhat more realistic mode of operation. However, in doing so I have noticed a problem.
When the program is activated it immediately runs ALL the tasks in the scheduler. This creates unnecessary overhead on the server and means that as long as the software is active all the tasks are going to occur at the same time - scheduling? What scheduling?
The Randomise Schedule seems to not work very well. I just watched it kick off three tasks within ten seconds of each other. Having received two 'Crash, Close Program' messages' I guess two of those processes did not complete.Conclusions and Requests:I will continue using SM. It does work and does what I need even with the errors.
I guess that when a thread crashes that the next scheduled operation opens a new thread. SM simply isn't cleaning up after itself when the threads crash. I have noticed that when SM error messages are cleared that resource usage goes down. I just cleared two such messages by clicking the 'close program' button and CPU usage has dropped to below 40% which is perfectly healthy.REQUEST
: Can your coders set up a housekeeping routine so that when processes crash they are cleaned up automatically to reduce resource consumption.
There's no good reason why all scheduled process should be triggered when the software starts up. It makes more sense to spread activities out. REQUEST
: Please can you arrange to have the startup occur WITHOUT triggering all the scheduled tasks.REQUEST
: please can you enable a scheduling process such that each campaign runs within a portion of the day. For example, 8 hours per day, starting at 09:00 system time. In that way SM can be left running and still give the appearance of a 'human being' which is probably the purpose of using browser emulation in the first place.
P.S. I just ran a quick test. Triggering a single scheduled event on SM boosted the CPU usage from below 40% to over 90% before falling back to a variable 50-70%. No wonder there are so many errors when all processes are running at the same time.
The system threw up 2 'close program' errors. I closed them rather than letting them accumulate as normally would happen and now resource usage is back to normal. Of course I do not know which tasks were not carried out.